Join Wild Equity Today!
2014 has been a challenging year. On December 20, 2013, Rose Braz—Wild Equity’s Chairperson, my wife, and the person I call “the greatest human I’ve ever met” without reservation—had a seizure. That Christmas Eve she was diagnosed with an invasive and aggressive form of brain cancer called glioblastoma.
It was the scariest moment we’ve ever faced.
Too many days were spent like this in 2014.
Our lives have been transformed. Rose has since had two brain surgeries and endured radiation and chemotherapy treatments. Much of my time has been dedicated to Rose’s care, and searching the literature for treatments that may fight this disease.
This time last year we knew next to nothing about brain cancer. Since then we’ve learned that many researchers now believe there will not be a “silver bullet” cure for glioblastoma. It is much more likely that a cure will be forged from several different treatments, each fighting a different aspect of the disease.
We transformed what we learned into a treatment “cocktail” that seems to be working. Rose’s latest scans are clear, and she’s still fighting fracking throughout California.
Rose rallying thousands just days after treatment.
What is most striking about this seemingly insurmountable challenge is that our struggles and insights parallel Wild Equity’s theory of change.
Wild Equity believes that no one strategy or technique will solve our systemic problems, so we wield a variety of tools—education, public relations, litigation, & grassroots organizing and lobbying—to win campaigns and create a sustainable and just world.
More so than any other Bay Area organization, Wild Equity has the suite of skills needed to wield each of these tools successfully, and we’ve demonstrated our effectiveness in wielding them time and again.
Now more than ever we need you to reinvest in our work: please renew your membership and/or make a tax-deductible contribution to the Wild Equity Institute today.
Even during this exacting year, your support has helped Wild Equity make great strides towards a more just and sustainable community for all:
- You helped us bring another lawsuit against the endangered species-killing Sharp Park Golf Course. With Save the Frogs! & Sequoia Audubon, Wild Equity is challenging Sharp Park Golf Course’s new attempt to drain critical wetlands for endangered species. With each successful claim we not only help wildlife, we increase the odds that San Francisco will stop wasting funds on this wildlife-killing golf course, and redirect them to San Francisco’s most impoverished neighborhood parks.
Photo © Liam O’Brien
- You helped us build our coalition against a power plant cluster adjacent to the Antioch Dunes National Wildlife Refuge. Wild Equity worked with the Fish and Wildlife Service and Antioch High School to introduce students to the remarkable, imperiled wildlife at the Antioch Dunes National Wildlife Refuge, and then fund three internships at the Refuge to help restore the Dunes ecosystem and spread the word about the threats the power plants pose to this remarkable place.
These victories are exceptional; with your support we can accomplish even more in 2015:
- Your contribution will create a better public park at Sharp Park, funding advocates who will fight for what you believe in at City Hall and in neighborhoods around the Bay Area.
- Your contribution will fund new legal challenges to the power plants that are polluting our communities and poisoning the Antioch Dunes National Wildlife Refuge, an investment that protects endangered species and our most vulnerable communities.
- Your contribution will help us expand the Endangered Species Big Year into an exciting new project: Wild Quest, a competition to see and save wildlife & plants around the Bay Area.
Imagine the world we will build together: a more equitable world for people and the plants and animals that accompany us on Earth. Thank you for supporting this vision and contributing to our work today!
|With deepest gratitude,
Brent Plater, Executive Director
Rose Braz, Chairperson
PS — Don’t forget to buy an “I ‘Bird’ SF” shirt for you and everyone you love! All sizes are currently in stock. Thank you!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!